Ishq-E-Banaras: A Crazy Holy Town in Indian Mainland

I have been traveling since years and every new destination adds a new bunch of memory in my beloved book “Travel” but there was something unique about this chapter “Banaras” as it was unlike other Indian towns, trust me this Holy city will make you feel crazy.

Usually mountains & coastal act as an attraction feature for me though post visiting Banaras I realized that my prior trips were more of meaningless, I was feeling lack of purpose but unlike the rest of the places, Banaras (Kashi) was quiet unique which added meaning to my life for a lifetime.


The trip was much fascinating with loads of surprises at every edge.

Here comes my first interaction with the city and possibly yours too.

Chaotic
I was excited when I got off from the train at Manduadih train station, this station is located in outskirts of the town though it's much cleaner as compared to the other stations of Banaras. As soon I stepped out from the platform the mob of auto drivers greeted me as if I am the chief guest and they were eagerly waiting for me only though I played smart, politely said no to them and booked an ola bike taxi for me.

Worship
Being in holy city I decided to start my journey by worshiping lord Shiva hence post doing check-in I quickly drop my luggage and start heading towards “Kashi Vishwanath Temple”. I was lucky though it usually take 45-50 minutes in the queue to wait for the turn while you are in the temple premises.

Tip – Most of the places are within the limit of walking distance so be prepared to walk a lot as city traffic sucks.


Cremation Ghats
Considering holy town, a lot of people from the Hindu religion believe that being burned at Manikarnika ghat provides an instant liberation from the cycle of rebirths. Within a couple of minutes, I have seen multiple peoples coming in to burn their beloved ones. The burning ceremony could be done anytime 24*7 at this ghat.

Kill the hunger
Banaras is quiet popular for gastronomy as multiple shops are popular here to pamper the foodie within you.

Kashi Chat Bhandar – This shop is much older and popular for serving Tamatar Chat and Palak Chat (Cost Rs.35 each). The shop opens at 3pm and becomes overcrowded by 4pm.

Blue Lassi – This is the only shop in India that offers 120 different flavors of Lassi (Yoghurt drink). I tried Saffron dry fruit flavor and trust me it was a unique Lassi experience I ever had (Cost – Rs.120).

Mona Lisa Café – I find it as one of the best rooftop cafés to explore in Banaras.

Kachauri Gali – This place serves famous Kachauri, Jalebi breakfast menu of Banaras, Try to arrive as early as 7am.

Desert – If you are traveling city in winters then you couldn’t afford to miss Malayo (Foam based milk drink), Gajar ka halwa (Carrot based sweet dish) and Rabri from street shops.

Thandai (with or without Bhang) – Bhang thandai is must try while you are in the town.

Paan – Trip to Banaras is incomplete without eating banarasi paan.



Evening Aarti
Though evening aarti (worship ceremony) takes place in many places but the most popular one takes place at Dasaswamedh Ghat. One can see aarti either from ghat (Riverbank) or hire a boat though I prefer to hire a boat and suggest the same for you. A lot of colorful lights and water candles during the aarti will rejuvenate you.


Post spending 2 nights and 3 days I was all set to leave the holy city towards my metro city but it wasn’t easy to escape from Banaras as I told you in the beginning that the city traffic really sucks, My train was scheduled from Mughal Sarai train station which is located around 15 miles away from the city and in order to get rid of city traffic I mistakenly preferred to take the train from Banaras to Mughal Sarai which got delayed hence I had to get down in the mid of train track and hire a Tuk-Tuk from the midway at the desired price of Tuk-Tuk driver which was almost double but I was left with no choice as I had to cover another 10 miles in 20 minutes in order to catch my train though he managed to drive like a Schumacher and made me catch my train at the last minute. Well this kinda experience looks ugly at the moment but makes travel memories last for a lifetime.



Never end up canceling your solo travel plans with fear of getting bore with yourself, always remember that all the experts were once a beginner.

Expected damage to your pocket.
Though its totally up to you but I can give you overview.

Transport – Round trip train ticket from New Delhi starts at Rs.900 for Non-AC sleeper coach till average Air Fare of Rs.4500 for round trip journey.

Accommodation – You would find hostels starting from Rs.175 per night until 5-star luxury property (Including heritage hotels) at Booking.com and other major websites.

Food – It’s quite cheap in Banaras.

Commute within city – Since distance within city is not much so rickshaw or Tuk-Tuk fare vary from Rs.10 uptil Rs.50 though I would recommend you to take rickshaw and please do not bargain with poor rickshaw puller as they are dependent on us for their bread and butter.



Happy to help travelers @ 9910326647, prateeksapra.p@gmail.com



                                                  
    
                                                  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bhutan – The Land of Thunder

Dayara Bugyal Trek || My First Winter Trek

Voyage to Mukteshwar and Kasar Devi (Hidden Gem in Himalayas)