Mesmerizing Bangladesh


Expand your limits, your limits will exceed. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. Met old friends, made new friends. That was my first solo trip, I was kind of equally nervous as much as excited since almost everyone warned me to not to travel solo since my destination was Bangladesh. But my experience was completely different considering the kind of feedback I heard about my travel destination - Cox's Bazar (Bangladesh)


Day1 – I left New Delhi early in the morning. My flight towards Agartala was scheduled at 05:00 am, Early morning surprise - I met one of my old college friend during the flight check-in and got to know that he is working with the airline as ground staff. The plane took layover for 45 minutes in Kolkata and reached Agartala at 10:40 am. Then I took auto towards Agartala bus station and then bus towards Belonia check post. That was 3 hours bus journey, though I was still in India but only few peoples were able to understand Hindi language. Those 3 hours of commute spent within Agartala was full of Green landscape though that was just the beginning of the adventure.



Crossing International Boundary on Foot – Bus Dropped me at Belonia Bus station at around 2:00 pm then i took 10 minute rickshaw ride to reach check post. My heart was beating speedly – I was like am I seriously gonna do this and lot of what if questions were arising in my mind. I tried but I failed to arrange Bangladeshi Currency (Takka) and International sim card. Without thinking much I proceeded towards immigration office. Post completing immigration formalities I had to visit Indian custom office followed by Bangladesh immigration and customs office, That all procedure took 01:45 hours but trust me guys crossing the international border on foot is a kind of amazing experience which cannot be expressed in words. Just after crossing an International check post everything gets changed - culture, customs, language, food, lifestyle and so on.


                       Traditional Bangla Food

My 1st experience in Bangladesh – Bangladeshi custom officer asked me about my itinerary and proactively assisted me on how to reach Cox’s Bazar and he also assisted me to exchange foreign currency. My destination was still 270 Kms away and it was already 4 pm at check post itself. Then I followed route suggested by customs officer: Belonia-Parshuram-Feni-Mahipal-Chittagong-Cox’s Bazar. I had to change my transport mode for 4 times although I easily managed to reach Chittagong by 08:30 pm but I had to wait in Chittagong for long since next bus towards Cox’s Bazar was scheduled for 00:00 hrs midnight which departed at 01:00 am but layover of over 4 hours in Chittagong was memorable. I enjoyed traditional Bangla meal and met a guy who become my good friend, My new friend was a tour operator based in Chittagong he also introduced me with his other friends, all of them gave me so much regard when they got to know that I am from India.   


Day 2 in Bangladesh – I reached Cox’s Bazar at 05:30 am and managed to arrange accommodation by 07:00 am. I took rest for few hours and proceeded to explore the seashore & the city. Cox’s Bazar is the most popular tourism destination in Bangladesh. It is located on the seashore of Bay of Bengal and very close to Bangladesh-Myanmar border hence Myanmar Rohingya refugees are based in near around areas. Though few peoples were able to understand a bit of Hindi or English though i had to face language barrier constraints. I spent over 3 hours of time at beachside on relaxing chair, I spent time having body massage, sipping coffee and purchasing traditional goods from walking sellers. I further explored the city and enjoyed the traditional meal during rest of the day.

                      Sea Shore of Cox's Bazar

Day 3 – I wake up early in the morning to enjoy an early morning view of the beach. I spent over 2 hours near beach side and then proceeded towards Marine Drive and Himchari waterfall which is located few miles away from Cox’s Bazar town. The viewpoint of Himchari fall was mesmerizing where one can feel fast blowing winds and enjoy the incredible view from top of the hill.  My plan was to proceed towards Sylhet In evening hence unwillingly I was not able to spend much time there. Post reaching hotel I started heading towards bus station since my bus towards Sylhet was scheduled at 04:00 pm. That was 15 hours bus journey covering over 500 kms starting from Southern Bangladesh and bound till North most Bangladesh. I opted to travel with a luxury coach, Journey was quite cozy and comfortable which include amenities like reclining seats, reclining leg rests, mineral water, blanket, and buffet dinner at layover all that included in bus ticket which cost me 1700 takka. I reserved a window seat so that I can enjoy the scenery. We started our journey from a city located next to sea shore and covered central parts of the country and ended our journey in sylhet – city covered by lavish greenery and hills. Our journey was full of landscape diversity and variety of scenery.

                     View from Himchari Waterfalls


Day 4 Bangla New Year – That was 14th April (Bangla new year). I was in the bus since last evening and it was raining when I woke up at 5:00 am, weather and landscape completely got changed. Started off from sea shore we were about to enter in hilly terrains. I reached Sylhet at 07:00 am and the further plan was to reach tamabil check post which is 3 hours away from Sylhet. Hence I further took auto followed by bus towards tamabil. The journey from Sylhet till tamabil was amazing and comprise of green landscape and fortunately, the weather was also favorable which added wings in my journey. Enroute towards tamabil I met a English speaking guy who is now my facebook friend we did a lot of chit chat and post talking about my solo trip he mentioned that he is inspired by me and it seriously seems like an achievement if you are able to inspire someone in regard to anything. My new friend suggested me to visit jafflong zero point which is just 4 kms away from tamabil and next stop of the bus then I opted to visit jafflong and backtrack for 4 kms which proved to be fruitful decision later on. I was in the middle of the Himalayas and it was drizzling, that view was reminding me of small-town hill stations in India. unlike the beginning of my entry in Bangladesh I was feeling like to stay for there for some more time since I was about to reenter my motherland after few hours. It was already 09:00 am and I was feeling hungry hence I decided to have breakfast first in jafflong. I entered into a roadside tea shop, I took tea and used my peanut butter since shopkeeper just had sweet buns to eat. Being a backpacker I was carrying peanut butter and some other stuff for tuff times. You might not get desirable food once you are out of your county so it is always advisable to carry some stuff for an emergency. Few patches of road were blocked by water due to rainfall and I had to track for around 2-3 kms to reach till zero point valley was surrounded by green hills from all 4 sides, the cool wind was blowing, the weather was pleasant.


Zero Point – That is not a commercial check post but a zero line of India-Bangladesh border located on the bank of the umangot river (famous for its crystal clear water). Post reaching zero point I found peoples were scattered from both sides. Bangladeshi hawkers were selling food to Indian customers isn’t it sound funny but yes there is no boundation. people from both nations can meet/shake hand with each other at zero line, hawkers can sell but cannot cross zero line. I met and had words with BSF guy at zero line from Bangladesh side but I was still bound to backtrack for 4 kms in order to reenter my motherland. My mobile again got Indian network I stepped on my motherland but I was still bound to backtrack till tamabil to reenter India legally, strange but true. There was mob of peoples from Bangladesh side since it was a holiday in Bangladesh because of Bangla new year – it is a very big day for Bangladeshi peoples.


   One foot in India followed by other in Bangladesh

Ghar aaja pardesi tera desh bulaye – I again took bus and reached Tamabil to cross another international border. I entered Bangladesh from belonia border which is located in Agartala state of India and my reentry in India was planned from Tamabil-Dawki border which is located in the Meghalaya state of India but there was lot of difference among both borders since Indo-Bangla border located in Meghalaya is major tourist spot where peoples from both sides also visit for leisure visit purpose although belonia border is just used for commute purpose. It took 01:45 hrs to complete paperwork while entering Bangladesh but it just took less than 45 minutes while reentering India.


I again visited same zero line after 4 hours but this time I was standing from Indian side. Looks crazy, isn’t it? I also enjoyed boating from both sides but it was too crowded at Bangladesh side since peoples were celebrating Bangla new year although the crowd was not much from the Indian side.



              Umangot river located at border

Post enjoying boating at Dawki river my aim was to look out for next destination. I had 2 options in my mind for the night stay – Riverside camping on the bank of umangot river or Homestay in mawlynnong (Asia’s cleanest village) then I finally decided to visit mawlynnong to visit root bridge and to spend night in village. I got cab till mid way then I had to hitchhike to cover remaining distance. Fortunately a Banglore based family agreed to drop me till mawlynnong there I visited root bridge –bridge naturally made of tree root it’s a must visit place if you are in Meghalaya for any purpose.



                               Root Bridge

Experience in Mawlynnong – It was already dark while I was enjoying viewpoints at root bridge. the village was still 2 kms away so I started tracking towards village. It was quiet amazing experience – I was walking in dark in hills and listening to the whispering of insects and frogs. Post reaching village I had to enquire among 5-6 houses then I finally got a room for 1person for just Rs.500/-. I further found a cozy café decorated with dim lights and enjoyed immensely economical and mouthwatering vegetarian meal since I hardly got chance to eat Vegetarian food in Bangladesh.



Day 5 – Good morning India: Sparrows were dancing on the tin of my room which worked as my early morning alarm, view was mesmerizing I went for a morning walk and entered into a jungle, I even saw a snake and scorpion then I started running back towards the village. Then I had breakfast in a café and start heading towards shilling. No transport option was available since that was Sunday so again had to hitchhike and I was lucky enough to get lift till midway from a family based in Guwahati - they came to spend weekend since Guwahati is just few miles away from mawlynnong. I further managed to reach shilling by sharing cab. I further checked into pre-reserved hotel in shilling and spent the evening at wards lake and lady hydari park followed by dinner in police bazar.

Day 6 – That was a leisure day which I spent within Shillong city.


Day 7 – It was freezing in shilling weather was quite cool and was completely different from Bangladesh and mawlynnong, Next destination in my list was Laitlum grand canyon which was few miles away from the city. I had to first board cab till smit then considering the change in temperature I decided to buy a wollen shawl at my transit point then I boarded next cab for Laitlum. I saw local shops selling homemade white rice beer en route. That was a narrow passage and road condition was not so good but post reaching canyon point I was like not even able to blink my eyes even for once, That was like end of the world I was sitting on edge of rock and was able to see deep valley from 3 sides, words are too less describe the kind of experience I had there. Then on the way back I again took a sharing cab and met a guy who chit chatted with me for 3 hours en route towards shilling he made me aware about a lot of different things and customs followed in north-east. Traveling solo allows you to explore more, you get chance to go out of your comfort zone and experience uneven things. I reached shilling back in evening and enjoyed dinner in a very popular Chinese restaurant based in town.

 

                  Laitlum grand canyon

Day 8 – Home Calling: Time to assemble memories and pack bags, I left shilling at 07:00 am in morning and visited Uniam lake and Tea Garden en route towards Guwahati. Uniam lake is one of the pleasant places to spend time, located at a peaceful place in the lap of Himalayas. I had brunch en route and reached the airport at 02:00 pm to board the flight bound for home. I further landed in New Delhi at 06:00 pm and memorable trip come to an end with loads of memories unlimited. I have started loving myself more after this trip









Happy to help travelers @ 9910326647, prateeksapra.p@gmail.com



Thanks for reading. Also watch my vlog - 

Bangladesh Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLklHYXj10ZRwK5VoKyhruQQCShK5JTTO7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bhutan – The Land of Thunder

Dayara Bugyal Trek || My First Winter Trek

Voyage to Mukteshwar and Kasar Devi (Hidden Gem in Himalayas)